Getting Started with SEO
Some ask me how to do SEO themselves and where to learn SEO online.
Of course, you can do it yourself – just like almost any profession out there. You can even be your own lawyer in court if you want to – there’s nobody saying you HAVE to pay an expert $400/hour to use their knowledge for much better chance of success – but most people don’t.
I’m not saying search engine optimization is that complicated, but most professionals that know what they’re doing, only know that from thousands, I mean 1,000’s of hours beyond the basics of SEO, of reading all the latest Google updates, experiences of others, experimenting and testing themselves, learning from past mistakes by self and others, spending lots of dollars on tools and tips.
Of course, you can do all that yourself to reach where other professionals are at.
Why not? Start today.
Here are the best online resources to start your learning: (I will be gradually adding to this list).
- Download and read the latest from Google’s own starter guide on search engine optimization, which includes Mobile sites.
- Follow this mini SEO course on searchengineland.
- Be sure you are a member of LinkedIn, and join some of their industry Groups, like SEOMoz, and SearchEngineLand.
- Bookmark those two sites. SEOMoz and SearchEngineLand.
- Download a handy free SEO tool for Firefox plugin here: SEObook
- Get started with free software to research keywords, track your ranking, etc. Google Analytics and Search Engine Console hooked up to your site is a must to track – but it can get complicated. Good data in an easy-to-read and follow format isn’t free anymore, so the only real valuable search intelligence tools are paid subscriptions like SEMRush or ProRankTracker.
- For local businesses that need to show up in Google Maps better, learn how to optimize your Google My Business listing for best visibility with this constantly updated GMB tutorial. It’s a thorough step by step course, so it’s not free – but it’s valuable practical knowledge.
More coming. Stay tuned.
Of course, getting your website optimized for search and getting found in Google can be boring, tedious work for most business owners just trying to keep on top of their day to day business activities. It’s not a typically enjoyable activity for the extrovert or person not wanting to go through a whole new learning curve.
Let Found Online Solutions do it for your. We will.
- get your local business found in the Google Maps 3-pack in most cases for various search terms
- get your local or national website discovered on the first page of Google for your targeted terms.
- help you build and keep tabs on your online reviews and reputation.
Book an appointment today with Duane- I’m sure you will learn something. I’d love to get to know your business and do a visual audit of your web presence and where it can improve to reach your goals.